information for CURRENT students
University Session, Terms, Vacations and Holidays
Admission on Transfer
- The University session shall extend from the 1st of July to the 30th of June following.
- The session shall be divided into three terms and three vacations.
- The vacations shall be the Autumn Vacation, the Winter Vacation and the Summer Vacation, the precise duration of each being determined by the Syndicate from year to year.
- First term: From the reopening of the University after the Summer Vacation to the commencement of the Autumn Vacation.
Second term: From the reopening of the University after the Autumn Vacation to the commencement of the Winter Vacation.
Third term: From the reopening of the University after the Winter Vacation to the closing of the University for the Summer Vacation.
- A list of holidays and vacations shall be issued from year to year with the approval of the Syndicate.
- The University offices and the University Library may be open and lectures intermitted for a day or part of a day on any special occasion at the discretion of the Vice-Chancellor.
- The University classes and offices shall remain closed on Fridays.
Admission on transfer from other University
- A student may be admitted to a course in the University for a degree
on production of a satisfactory T.C. at any time subject to such
conditions as may be prescribed by the Vice-Chancellor in each case,
provided he is in a position to keep the requisite percentage of
attendance required by the University Ordinances.
- A student may be admitted to a course in an affiliated College for a degree on production of a satisfactory TC at any time subject to such conditions as may be prescribed by the Principal in each case, provided he is in a position to keep the percentage of attendance required by the Ordinances.
- A Student may be admitted into 1st year Honours Course in Dhaka University by fulfilling the following Conditions:
(a) The applicant must have minimum requisite qualification for
admission in the 1st year Honours Course.
(b) The applicant should produce the evidence of recent transfer of legal
guardian at Dhaka.
Father/Mother/Husband/Elder brother (in case of father/ Mother is not alive) will be considered as legal guardian.
(c) It must have recommendation for admission of the Academic Committee of the Department concerned.
(d) If the above conditions are fulfilled then the applications may be submitted to the Vice-Chancellor with the recommendation of the Dean of the faculty concerned for approval.
- All students on admission to the University shall be required to sign the following statement:
I agree that in any matter arising out of my membership of the University as a student. I shall accept the decision of any duly authorised authority of the University as final.
Provided that the Vice-Chancellor may, at his discretion cancel the admission of a student to the University without stating any reason.
Promotion of the Student
Promotion of a student from 1st year to 2nd year, 2nd year to 3rd year
the Student and 3rd year to 4th year Honours Courses will be effective on the basis
of the results of the course final examination published by the Controller
(a) If a students fails to get promotion from 1st year to 2nd year, 2nd year to 3rd year and 3rd year to 4th year he/she can take re-admission in the next year and can appear in the examination studying the courses of that year accordingly. Any kind of re-admission shall be within the 7th academic session from his/her first admission in the course. After this period no application for re-admission shall be considered.-In the case of re-admission the student shall have at least 30% attendance in the previous year.
(b) In the case of re-admission the student shall appear in the Incourse/Midterm, Tutorial, Term paper, Practical, Practical Class Assessment, Fieldwork Examination with the students of the next session, if not possible, marks obtained in the previous year will be retained.
(c) If a student fails to appear in the examination of a year, he/she must take re-admission within one month from the commence of classes of the next session. But if a student appears at one or more courses, he/she shall take re-admission if necessary, within one month of publication of results. In such case the concerned Chairman and Provost will take actions considering the application for re-admission.
(d) Application for re-admission must be submitted at least 3 months before the fixed date of the Course Final Examination of any year.
(e) All applications for re-admission must be sent with the
recommendation of the Academic Committee of the Department/Institute
In any case not covered by the above regulations, the Vice-Chancellor shall decide upon the admissibility of the student for re-admission and the terms, if any, upon which he/she may be re-admitted.
- 13. In the case of admission of the student from other university in the Masters Course/Programme in any Department/Institute under Dhaka University must produce Migration Certificate from their previous University.
- No students shall be permitted for admission in the Masters Course/Programme in the same session or next of his/her Honours/Preliminary degree.
15. A student fails to get admission in the Masters Course after passing his/her Honours/Preliminary Examination he/she may be admitted in the Masters Course within the next 7 (seven) academic session.
- 16. No student shall study in other Department/Institute simultaneously and take any kind of job in the Government or Non-Government Organisation. If such case is identified his/her admission /degree shall be cancelled.
The name of a student may be withdrawn from the University Roll with the permission of the Provost of his Hall or the Principal of the College, as the case, may be, at any time on payment of tuition fees and seat rent up to the end of the month in which he/she applies for. Withdrawal together with any other University or Hall dues for which he/she is liable under the Ordinances and Regulations. The application for withdrawal must be made to the Registrar through the Provost or to the Principal concerned and must be countersigned by the legal guardian:
(a) The name of a student whose name has been withdrawn may be restored by the Vice-Chancellor on the recommendation of the Chairman of the Department concerned or by the Principal of the college concerned to the class from which his/her name was withdrawn, at the beginning of the next session, without admission fee but the student will be required to pay all other dues for that session.
(b) A student whose name has been withdrawn may be admitted at the beginning of any session later than the next session on payment of admission and all other fees for that session.
(c) A student whose name has been withdrawn at such time during the year as renders his/her eligible for promotion to the next higher class may be re-admitted and promoted to the next higher class at the commencement of the next session or any subsequent session on payment of the balance of fees and dues for the session in which his name was withdrawn and such fines as the Vice-Chancellor or the Principal concerned may think fit.
(d) The fee for withdrawal shall be equal to one month's tuition fee, which shall be paid along with other dues within 3 weeks of the notification of acceptance of withdrawal, otherwise the permission for withdrawal will be deemed to have been cancelled.
- In all cases where a student's name is restored after withdrawal or removal he/she will be required to fulfill the conditions of attendance and residence and to present himself for the examination at which he/she wishes to appear within the time limit prescribed by the relevant Ordinances subject to the same conditions as if he/she had pursued his course of study from the date of his first entry without withdrawal or removal.
- 19. The procedure with regard to the admission, withdrawal of students, removal of student names from the register and the re-admission of students shall be prescribed by Regulations.
©2009, University of Dhaka, all right reserved