Department of Physics
Dr. A.F.M. Yusuf Haider
Ph.D in Solid State Physics
The Australian National University (A.N.U), Australia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
|All through First class from S.S.C to M.Sc ; B.Sc (Honours) in Physics, D.U (1969) ; M.Sc in Physics ( Nuclear Physics Thesis Group) D.U. (1970) ; Ph.D. in Solid State Physics from The Australian National University (1980)|
|On Laser Physics and Non-Linear Optics from the Institute of Quantum Electronics, Florence, Italy, April 1983 to May 1984.|
|Date of Birth||
|September 30, 1949|
|More than 55 Papers in International, National Scientific Journals, Proceedings & book chapters, with 96 citations.|
Professor of Physics, University of Dhaka since August 1988.
Selection Grade Professor (top 25 % of all Professors of University of Dhaka) of Physics from 1994.
Coordinator, Nonlinear Optics & Laser Spectroscopy Laboratory. Centre for Advanced Research in Sciences (CARS), University of Dhaka, since Sept. 2005.
Editor, the Dhaka University Journal of Science, July, 2009 - June, 2011
Peer Reviewer of international journals:
- Optics and Laser Technology, Elsevier (U.K.)
- IEEE/ OSA Journal of Light wave Technology, (U.S.A.)
- Optics and Laser in Engineering Elsevier (U.K.)
- Analytical Methods, RSC Publishing (U.K.)
- Journal of Optical Society of America (JOSA), (U.S.A.)
Membership & Fellowship:
FELLOW of the Bangladesh Physical Society (BPS).
Life Member: The Bangladesh Physical Society (BPS).
Member: The American Chemical Society (ACS).
Honor and Achievements:
Celebrated Personality of the World: Enlisted in the WHOs WHO in the world since 1999, (Published from America).
I was invited to submit proposals for the award of The Nobel Prize for Physics for 1994 by the NOBEL COMMITTEE FOR PHYSICS, Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Two of my published papers (number 30 & 38 in the list of selected publications) were amongst the Top 25 Hottest Articles as the most read Paper for a number of quarters.
Positions held :
- Member of the Academic Council, University of Dhaka, since 1986.
- President, Dhaka University Teachers Association (DUTA) for three terms for the years 1998, 1999 & 2002.
- Vice President, Dhaka University Teachers Association (DUTA) for the year 1995.
- Member of the Syndicate, University of Dhaka, from Nov. 1998 to January 2009.
- Member of the Senate, University of Dhaka, for a number of terms.
- More than 39 years of experience in teaching at the post graduate and the honors level in Physics and research experience with particular emphasis on Experimental Nuclear Physics, Solid State Physics and Laser Physics and have been directly involved in University Research Capacity building activities.
- To farther the research capability of the University of Dhaka, a modern research laboratory had been developed as the Center for Advanced Research in Sciences, (Center of Excellence) in the University of Dhaka, with financial support from the Government of Bangladesh and Japan Debit Cancellation Fund (JDCF) under my initiative and direct supervision when I was the Pro-Vice Chancellor of the university.
The major areas of research involvement (past):
Nuclear Physics: Inelastic scattering of neutrons by Ho165 and Y89 nuclei by using the Dhaka 3 MeV Van de Graaff accelerator, 512 multi-channel analyzer and NaI (Tl) scintillation detector.
Solid-state spectroscopy (both theory and experiment): Electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy, optical (UV, Vis & IR) and Mossbauer spectroscopy of 3dn ions in SrO and MgTiO3 crystals and theoretical and experimental study of Off-Center behavior of transition metal ions in SrO. Also calculated the energy levels of some transition metal ions in different charge states in different crystalline environments.
Ionic thermo-current measurements: Mn Doped NaCl crystals.
Laser Physics: (a) Coherent light generation by lasing; design, fabrication and operation of a moderate power N2 laser, (b) design, fabrication and operation of a dual frequency dye laser oscillator-amplifier system using a XeCl Excimer laser.
Study of Non-linear Optics: (a) Stimulated Raman Scattering (SRS), Four Photon Mixing (FPM), Stimulated Four Photon Mixing (SFPM) in optical fibers using Excimer lasers and Optical Multi-channel Analyzer (OMA), (b) SRS in pressurized H2 gas, (c) Theoretical and Experimental Study of Laser Raman Fiber Oscillator-Amplifier system using Excimer lasers.
Study on Holography: Recording and reconstruction of Holograms (3-D images) using HeNe laser and Diode Laser.
Study on Optical signal processing: Image processing and character identification using Fourier transform techniques and spatial filters.
Fiber Optics: Optical fiber characterization, refractive index profile measurement by interferometric method and calculation of optical fiber bandwidth and study of elementary optical communication.
Soliton propagation in optical fibers (Theoretical).
Study on Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry (ESPI): Measurement of In-Plane motions and micro Rotations and micro deformation of surfaces.
The current research activities:
Laser Spectroscopy: (a) Laser- induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) using Nd:YAG laser with harmonic generation upto fourth order, Czerny-Truner monochromator and Gated and Intensified CCD, (b) Laser-induced plasma characterization using spectroscopic techniques. (c) Laser Raman Spectroscopy (LRS) and Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscoy (SERS) using HeNe laser, Ar ion Laser, Diode laser, Czerny-Turner monochromator and non-intensified and non-gated CCD and nanoparticles.
Study of Nano particles: Production of nano particles by Laser Ablation Technique and their characterization by UV-Vis Spectroscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM).
Supervised the research work of a number of M.S. and M.Phil. students in different areas of Physics such as:
- Experimental solid state Physics: Transport properties.
- Design and operation of high power pulsed nitrogen laser.
- Coherent optical signal processing by spatial filtering
- Optical fiber characterization
- Soliton propagation in optical fibers
- ESPI and its applications
- LIBS and its applications
- Laser Raman Spectroscopy (LRS) and its applications
- Fabrication of metal nanoparticles by Laser ablation technique and their characterization.
Teaching Experience (Courses taught):
Courses taken at undergraduate level: Mechanics; Electricity & Magnetism; Thermodynamics; Waves & Optics; Electrical Circuits; Electronics; Atomic & Molecular Physics; Modern Physics; Quantum Mechanics; Solid State Physics; Nuclear Physics; Methods of Experimental Physics; Introductory Course on Optical Fiber.
Courses taken at postgraduate level: Laser Physics; Solid State Physics.
Current Teaching: Mechanics and thermodynamics, Waves and Optics.
List of some SELECTED Publications of which I was author or a co-author
- "Gamma Rays Following Neutron Inelastic Scattering in Ho165 and Y89". Nuclear Science and Applications ,Vol. 6, Series B, Page 32-36, 1973 , (Bangladesh).
- "Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectra of Fe2+ and Fe3+ Ions in SrO: Evidence of Off-centre displacement of Fe2+ Ions", Journal of Physics C: Solid-state Physics ,Vol. 11, 2595-2605, 1978, (UK).
- "Quadratic Jahn-Teller Coupling and Off-Centre Displacement for Ni2+ Ions in SrO". Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 15-18, page 745-746, 1980 , (Holland).
- "Effect of Electric Fields on the Spectra of off-Centre Substitutional Defects in SrO". Journal De Physique, Colloquia C6, Supplement Au No. 7, Tome 41 ,page C6-415 – C6-418, 1980, (France).
- "ESR Study of Transition Metal Ions in Magnesium Titanate", Journal of Physics C: Solid-state Physics ,Vol. 13, 6239-6250, 1980, (UK).
- "Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Spectra of Fe3+ Ion in C1h sites in SrO". Journal of Phys. C: Solid State Physics, Vol. 14, page 5667-5673, 1981, (UK).
- "Spectroscopic Studies of Fe3+ Ions in MgTiO3". Indian Journal of Phys. Vol. 55A, page 16-22, 1981 , (India).
- "Trivalent Transition Metal Ions & Off-Centre Effects in SrO". Journal of Phys. C: Solid State Physics , Vol. 15, page L41-L44, 1982 , (UK).
- “Calculation of Off-Centre Instabilities of Divalent Transition Metal Ions in SrO”. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 1 & 2, 1982, (Bangladesh).
- "EPR Study of Trivalent Transition Metal ions in SrO". Nuclear Science and Applications B , Vol. 14 & 15, page 1-7 1983, (Bangladesh).
- "ITC Measurements of Mn Doped NaCl: Evidence of MnCl2 Precipitates in NaCl". Indian Journal of Physics , Vol. 57A, page 417-421, 1983, (India).
- "Continuously Tunable Multiple-Order Stimulated Four-Photon Mixing in Multimode Silica Fiber", Optics Letters ,Vol. 9, 79-81, 1984 , (USA).
- "Frequency Conversion in the UV and Visible Spectral Regions by Stimulated Raman Scattering and Four-Photon Mixing in multimode Silica Fibers". OPTO 84, International Conference on Optic Fibers and Lasers. Paris, 15-17 May 1984, Conference Proceedings ,Page 185-186, 1984, (France).
- "Conversione di Frequenza Nella Regione Ultravioletta per Processi Non Lineari in Guida D ONDA E in Idrogeno". 40 Congresso Nazionale di Elettronica Quantistica e Plasmi, capri, Napoli, 21-23 Maggio, (1984). Conference Proceedings page , 207-211, 1984, (Italy).
- "High-Conversion-Efficiency Ultraviolet Fiber Raman Oscillator-Amplifier System, A Theoretical Investigation". Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, 21-24 May 1985, Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A. CLEO 85, Conference Proceedings , page 246-247, 1985 , (U.S.A.).
- "Simple and Efficient H2 Raman Conversion of a XeCl Laser with a Variable Numerical Aperture Coupling geometry". Optics Communications, Vol. 53, No. 6, page 421-424, 1985, (Holland).
- "High Conversion Efficiency Ultraviolet Fiber Raman Oscillator-Amplifier System ". Applied Optics , Vol. 25, No. 7, page 1048-1050. 1986, (U.S.A.).
- "Study of SRS and FPM in Multimode Silica Fibers in the UV Region". Proceedings of the 3rd tropical college on Applied Physics: Laser and Plasma Physics, Kuala Lumpur, (Malaysia), June 1988, page 407-415.
- "EPR of Mn2+ and V2+ Ions in SrO: Evidence for New Site for Mn in SrO". Indian Journal of Phys., Vol. 62A, page 148-155, 1988, (India).
- "A Dual-Frequency Dye Laser Oscillator-Amplifier System". Ind. Journal of Physics , Vol. 62B page 552-555, 1988 , (India).
- A chapter (chapter 1) on "Intensifier and Cathode-Ray tube Technologies", page 1-18, in a book titled "Electro-optical displays", published by Marcell Dekker Inc. Publication. N.Y. , 1992 , (U.S.A.).
- "An Interferometric Technique for measuring the refractive Index profile of graded Index optical fibre", Proceedings of the National Aerospace and Electronics Conference, NAECON 1994, May 23-27, Dayton, Ohio, page 1111-1118, (U.S.A.).
- "Interferometric Refractive Index Profile Measurement of an Optical Fiber", Microwave and Optical Technology Letters , Vol. 7, 821-23, 1994, (USA).
- “Design and Construction of an Analogue Optical Communication System using a Multimode Optical Fibre”, Dhaka University Journal of Science, Vol. 44 (2): 269-273, 1996, (Bangladesh).
- "A study of the Raman Fibre Oscillator-Amplifier system using non-linear optics", Dhaka University Journal of Science , Vol. 45(1), 75-82, 1997, (Bangladesh).
- "Design, Fabrication and Operation of a Transversely-Excited Flowing-Gas Nitrogen Laser", Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences ,Vol. 22, 123-128, 1998, (Bangladesh).
- "Coherent optical image processing using Fourier transform and low pass and high pass filters", Dhaka UniversityJournal of Science ,Vol. 46(2), 335-341, 1998, (Bangladesh).
- "Design and Fabrication of a Triggered Spark Gap Switch", Dhaka University Journal of Science ,Vol. 47(2), 267-271, 1999, (Bangladesh).
- "Recording and Reconstruction of Three-Dimensional Images by Transmission Holography and its Applications", Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 23, 133-139, 1999, (Bangladesh).
- "Construction and Operation of a Simple Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometer and Its Use in Measuring Microscopic Deformations", Optics & Laser Technology ,Vol. 32, 323-328, 2000, (UK).
- "Pattern or Character Recognition by Complex Spatial Filtering", Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences , Vol. 24, 9-14, 2000, (Bangladesh) .
- "Measurement of In-Plane Motions and Rotations Using a Simple Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometer", Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 34, 293-298, 2002, (UK).
- "Visible Semiconductor Lasers and Their Application", Dhaka University Journal of Science , Vol. 50(2), 241-247, 2002 , (Bangladesh).
- "Reconstruction of Three-Dimensional Holographic Images by Using Diode Laser", Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 27, 211-214, December, 2003, (Bangladesh).
- "Analysis of amplitude and phase characteristics of soliton propagation through optical fiber", Dhaka University Journal of Science ,Vol. 52(1), 69-74, October, 2003, (Bangladesh).
- "Research, Education, and Application of Lasers in Bangladesh", Bangladesh Journal of Physics, Vol. 1 (1), 8-13, 2004, (Bangladesh).
- "ESPI using a digital still camera and a green ND:YAG LASER" Dhaka University Journal of Science ,Vol. 53 (1), 147-152, 2005, (Bangladesh).
"Computer simulation of Fresnel diffraction from rectangular apertures and obstacles using the Fresnel integrals approach" Optics & Laser Technology ,Vol. 39, Issue 2, Pages 237-246, 2007, (U.K) .
This paper was included in the list of Top 25 Hottest Articles as the most read paper for a number of quarters
a) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 17 of the list of 25) for the July-September quarter, 2007
b) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 19 of the list of 25) for the July-September quarter, 2008
c) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 17 of the list of 25) for the April to June quarter, 2008
d) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 12 of the list of 25) for the October to December quarter, 2009
e) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 15 of the list of 25) for the January to March quarter, 2009
f) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 4 of the list of 25) for the January to March quarter, 2010
g) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 8 of the list of 25) for the April to June quarter, 2010
h) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 22 of the list of 25) for the July to September quarter, 2010
i) (Science Direct, Website: , go to no 8 of the list of 25) for the October to December quarter, 2010
- "Calculation of the bandwidth of a graded-index optical fiber using experimentally measured quantities" Dhaka University Journal of Science Vol. 55(1), 41-45, January-2007, (Bangladesh),
- "A Non-gated Laser Induced Breakdown System and its Applications in Elemental Analysis of Air and Minerals", Dhaka University Journal of Science, Vol. 55 (2), 171-175, July-2007, (Bangladesh).
- A chapter (Chapter 6) on "Electronic Speckle Pattern Interferometry and Related Techniques using Digital Still Cameras", in the book titled "Lasers, Optics and Electro-Optics Research Trends", Lian I. Chen, Edited, Published by NOVA Science Publishers, Inc, August, 2007, New York, (U.S.A.).
- "Podarthabiggane 2008 shaler nobel purushker bijoy: Bisyabromanday pratishammo vongger rohossho uddghaton", Dhaka Bisshobiddalaya Patrika , Number 88, Page 129-140, June 2007, (Bangladesh).
- "Construction and operation of a dispersive laser Raman spectrograph using interference filter", Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences. Vol. 32, No. 1, 121-129, June, 2008, (Bangladesh).
- Invited talk on “Study of micro-rotations and micro-deformations of surfaces using electron speckle pattern Interferometry”, MRFSAF-09, international conference on materials research with frontier state-of-art facilities, January, 17-18, 2009, Visva-Bharati; Santiniketan , (India).
- "Determination of Ratio of Unsaturated to Total Fatty acids in Edible Oils by Laser Raman Spectroscopy", Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 9 (8), 1538-1543, April, 2009, Asian Network of Scientific Information (International).
- Invited talk on “Recent laser physics research activities in Dhaka University ”, International physics conference, Bangladesh Physical Society (BPS), Dhaka, May 15-17, 2009, (Bangladesh).
- “Construction of Laser Raman System Using Diode Laser and Its Performance”, Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 33, No. 1, 51-58, (June), 2009, (Bangladesh).
- “Elemental Profiling of Surface Water around Dhaka City by Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy.” Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 33, No. 2, 209-218, (Dec.) 2009, (Bangladesh).
- “Elemental profiling and determination of Ti content of the beach sand samples of Bangladesh using LIBS technique.” Optics and Laser Technology Vol. 42, 969-974, 2010, (U.K).
- Invited talk on “Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy and its applications”, International conference on recent advances in physics, RAP 2010, March 27-29 2010, University of Dhaka, (Bangladesh).
- “A simple and quick technique to determine the impurity content in gold ornaments”, International conference on recent advances in physics ,RAP 2010, March 27-29 2010, University of Dhaka, (Bangladesh).
- “Power dependence of size of laser ablated colloidal silver nanoparticles”, European Physical Journal (EPJ D), Vol. 60, 295-300, 2010, (Germany)
- “Semi quantitative Determination of Chromium Content of riverbed Soil of Buriganga River at Different Locations”, Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Sciences, Vol. 34(2), p 123, December 2010, (Bangladesh).
- "An experimental demonstration of quantum not gate: Transition from classical to quantum regime", IEEE International conference on Electro/Information Technology (E.I.T 2010), Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois U.S.A., May 20-22, 2010 (included in the IEEE X-plore digital library), (U.S.A.)
- “Identification of Multiple Rare Earths and Associated Elements in Raw Monazite Sands by Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy”, Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 43(1), p 45-49, February, 2011 (U.K.).
- 'Detection of multiple elements in coal samples from Bangladesh by Laser-induced Breakdown Spectroscopy'.Optics and Laser Technology, 43, 1405 - 1410, 2011 (U.K.)
- 'Fabrication of gold in nanoparticles in water by laser ablation technique and their characterization' Appl. Phys A, 105, 487-495, 2011, (Germany).
- Determination of Ca content of coral skeleton by analyte additive method using the LIBS technique. Optics & laser Technology, 44, 1654-1659, 2012, (U.K.).
- Elemental Analyses and Determination of Lead Content in Kohl (Stone) byLaser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy, 66(4), 420-425, 2012 (Germany)
This paper was included in the list of Top 25 Hottest Articles as the most read paper. Please go the Science Direct, Website: go to no 15 of the list of 25 for the July-September quarter, 2004
(Dr. A.F.M. Yusuf Haider)
Ex. Pro-Vice Chancellor
University of Dhaka
Date: May 14, 2012