Details of Mr. Ahmed Bashir
Department of English
BA (Hons) (English, University of Dhaka) MA (Applied Linguistics & ELT, University of Dhaka), MA (TESOL, University of Nottingham)
Telephone: +88 02 9661900, ext. 6046 (Off)
Mobile: +88 01819 13 25 94
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Language learning styles and strategies
- ESL/EFL acquisition/learning
- Language teaching methodology
- Learner autonomy
- Language testing and assessment
Hard-working and highly motivated candidates can contact for supervision of their M.Phil research in one of the relevant fields above.
Sinha, B.S., Mahboob, T.S., Bashir, A., Basu, B. L., & Akter, M. N. (2014). Endeavour: A Language Coursebook for Freshman Students. Dhaka: Department of English, University of Dhaka. ISBN: 978-984-33-6365-7
Bashir, A. (2012). Understanding Academic Reading Strategies: Used by Undergraduate Students in Bangladesh. Saarbrücken, Germany: LAMBERT Academic Publishing. ISBN: 978-3-8473-2923-7.
Khan, S., Alam, M., Islam, S., & Bashir, A. (2005). English Grammar and Composition for Classes Nine and Ten, (approved by the National Curriculum and Textbook Board). Dhaka: Panjeeri Publications Ltd.
Bashir, A. (2011-2012). Investigating Humanistic Methodological Characteristics in Teaching English to Bangladeshi Undergraduate Students. Spectrum, Journal of the Department of English, University of Dhaka, 8-9, 163 -184.
Bashir, A. (2011-2012). Investigating the Adjacency Pair Mechanism in Informal Conversations. The Arts Faculty Journal, University of Dhaka, 5(7), 17- 42.
Bashir, A. (2011). Investigating Bangladeshi Undergraduate ESL Learners’ Beliefs about Language Learning. The Dhaka University Studies, 68(1), 69 -100.
Bashir, A. (2012, Accepted for publication). Investigating the Use of Academic Reading Strategies by Graduate ESL Learners at Dhaka University. The Dhaka University Journal of Linguistics.
Bashir, A., & Rahman, M. Z. (2007-2011). The Use of Computers and Multimedia in English Language Teaching Classes in Bangladesh: Preliminary Observations. Panini: NSU Studies in Language and Literature, North South University, 5, 133-177.
Bashir, A. (2008-2010). Our Learners’ Dilemma and English Grammatical Number System. The Arts Faculty Journal, University of Dhaka, 3(4-5), 1-20.
Al-Quaderi, G.G., Bashir, A., & Ferdousy, S. (2006). Comprehending English Prose: Dhaka University English Department Scenario. Spectrum, Journal of the Department of English, University of Dhaka, 4, 115-137.
Bashir, A., & Ferdousy, S. (2006). Problems and Strategies of Teaching English in Large Classes at Universities in Bangladesh. Stamford Journal of English, Stamford University Bangladesh, 2, 38-52.
Bashir, A. (2005-2006). The Place of Grammar in EFL Composition Classes. The Arts Faculty Journal, University of Dhaka, 1, 29-36.
Bashir, A. (2005).The Teaching of Reading: Some Issues and Strategies. Spectrum, Journal of the Department of English, University of Dhaka, 3, 70-91.
- Developing English Language Skills
- English for Professional Purposes
- Public Speaking
- Introduction to Linguistics
- English Phonetics and Phonology
- Structure of English (Morphology and Syntax)
- Sociolinguistics (Language and Society)
- Second Language Acquisition
- Teaching English Language Skills
- Principles and Methods of Language Teaching
- Language Testing, Evaluation and Assessment
Involvement in Research Projects:
- Core committee member, International Strategic Partnership in Research and Education (INSPIRE R- 4) in collaboration with Manchester University and Department of English, University of Dhaka, £ 12,000 (Year 1) funded by the British Council, 2013.
- Core committee member, the Sub-project ‘Improvement and Innovation in English Teaching-Learning’, Department of English, University of Dhaka, under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP), $ 120,000 (approx), the University Grants Commission of Bangladesh (UGC) and the World Bank, 2010-2013.
- Research Assistant, the National Youth Survey Project under the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia, 2011.
Work as a resource person:
- Teacher Training Programme organized by National University for selected college teachers from all over Bangladesh under Development of Public Universities (National University Part) project, Phase I, 2010; Phase II, 2012 and Teacher Training Programme 2013 (Batch 80).
- English language training organized by the National Academy for Planning and Development for the officials of different ministries of the Government of Bangladesh, 2006-07.
- Professional English Training organized by Bangladesh Institute of Administration and Management (BIAM), an associate institute of the Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) Administration Association, 2009.
- Live Distance English Teaching programme on a Private TV channel, DESH Television, 2010.
- Moderator, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall Debating Club, University of Dhaka. (From August 2005 to November 2010)
- Coordinator, Literary and Cultural Committee, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall, University of Dhaka. (From August 2005 to November 2010)
- Teacher-in Charge, Games and Sports, Department of English, University of Dhaka. (From 2004 to November 2010)
- Coordinator, English Language Club, Department of English, University of Dhaka. (From 2004 to November 2010)
- Member, Language Seminar Committee, Department of English, University of Dhaka. (From 2004 to November 2010)
- Junior Certificate Course, Senior Certificate Course, and Diploma Course in French Language from the Institute of Modern Languages, University of Dhaka in 1998, 1999, and 2000 respectively.
- Junior and Senior Certificate courses in Military Science from University of Dhaka in 1997 and 1998 respectively.
Awards and Scholarships:
- The Secondary School Certificate (SSC) Scholarship, Jessore Board of Education, 1993-1995.
- The Higher School Certificate (HSC) Scholarship, Jessore Board of Education, 1996-1998.
- Awarded by the then Prime Minister of the People's Republic of Bangladesh for results of both Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC) Examinations, 1993 & 1995.
- The first prize in English Poetry Recitation at the Literary and Cultural Competition, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Hall, University of Dhaka, 1998.
- BA (Honors) Scholarship, Department of English, University of Dhaka, 1999-2000.
- Award by the Department of English, University of Dhaka for MA results, 2001.
Selected Conference Presentations:
- Investigating Undergraduate ESL Learners’ Readiness for Autonomous Learning, The 18th International Conference on “Transformations in ELT: Contexts, Agents and Opportunities” organized by Nepal English Language Teachers’ Association (NELTA), 16-18 February 2013, Lalitpur, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Teaching Vocabulary to EFL Learners: Teachers’ Beliefs and Strategy Use, The 6th BELTA International Conference on “The Multiple Realities of English: ELT and Beyond” organized by Bangladesh English Language Teachers’ Association (BELTA), 18-20 January 2013, NAEM (National Academy for Education and Management), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Prospects of Using Interactive Whiteboards in Classrooms, International Conference 2012 on “Teaching and Learning English through Technology”, organized by the Department of English, University of Dhaka, 20 October 2012, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Investigating Bangladeshi Undergraduate ESL Learners’ Beliefs about Language Learning, the 21st MELTA (Malaysian English Language Teaching Association) International Conference, 28-29 May 2012, Sunway Putra Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Exploring Gender-related Distinctions in Bangladeshi Undergraduate ESL Learners’ Beliefs about Learning English, MELTA International Conference on Graduate Research in English Language Education, 31 March, 2012 IPG (Campus Bahasa Antarabangsan), Lembah Pantai, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- To What Extent are Humanistic Methodological Characteristics Used in Bangladeshi Undergraduate English Language Classes? the 20th MELTA International Conference on “English Language Education and Global Learning: Policy, Practice and Performance”, 30 May to 1 June 2011, Primula Beach Resort, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, Malaysia.
- Investigating the Use of Humanistic Characteristics in Undergraduate English Language Classes in Bangladesh. MELTA National Colloquium on Graduate Research in English Language Education, 7 May 2011, University of Nottingham Teaching Centre, Chulan Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- The Status Dilemma of English in the Education Policy of Bangladesh: A Pragmatic Appraisal, the 19th MELTA International Conference 2010 on “Transformations in English Language Education: Vision, Innovation, Implementation”, 17-18 June 2010, Four Points Sheraton, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Comprehending English Prose: Dhaka University English Department Scenario, the 3rd International Conference on “ELT in Context: Future Directions,” organized by BELTA (Bangladesh English Language Teachers Association), 14-16 September 2005, British Council, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Large Class Size: an Impediment to Effective Language Teaching and Class Management, the third international conference on “The Effective Teaching of English in Bangladesh: Pedagogy and Best Practices” organized by Stamford University Bangladesh, 09 July 2005, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Selected Workshops and Conferences/Seminars Participation:
- Workshop on “Assessing Reading and Listening” by Adrian Tennant from the UK, organized by Department of English, University of Dhaka, 17 January 2013.
- International ELT Seminar on “Teacher Effectiveness”, jointly organized by BELTA(Bangladesh English Language Teachers’ Association) and TESOL Arabia, Edward M. Kennedy Centre, Dhaka, 1-2 December, 2012.
- Workshop on “Using Technology in Language Education” by Dr Helen Bond from the USA, organized by Department of English, University of Dhaka, 18-19 October 2012.
- Workshop on “Introduction to SPSS”, School of Education, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, 15, 22, 29 October, 5, and 12 November 2011.
- Workshop on Dissertation Writing, School of Education, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, 7 September 2011.
- Workshop on “Interdisciplinary Research, Research Proposal Writing, Research Grant Writing and Project Management”, Graduate School, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, 07-11 February 2011.
- The 3rd International Conference on “Empire and English Studies: Pedagogy and Activism Now”, East West University Bangladesh, 11-12 December 2009.
- The 8th International Conference on “Language and Development”, the British Council Bangladesh, 23 to 25 June 2009.
- The 2nd International Conference on “Democracy, the New World Order and English Studies”, East West University Bangladesh, 12-13 December 2008.
- The 4th International Conference on “The ELT Profession: Challenges and Prospects” organized by BELTA, 7-8 September 2007.
- Training on Research Methodology organized by the Center for Advanced Research in Humanities, University of Dhaka, June 2005.
- The English Language Teacher Training Programme on “Teaching Strategies for the ESL Classroom” conducted by teacher training specialists from the USA and Japan, organized by BELTA, 25-30 March 2005.
- Executive Committee Member, (2013-14), BELTA, (Bangladesh English Language Teachers’ Association).
- Member, (Membership No 15673) IATEFL, (International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language).
- Member, Asia TEFL (Membership No BD746), (The Asian Association of Teachers of English as a foreign Language).
- International Member, (Membership No 061/2012) MELTA (Malaysian English Language Teaching Association).
- Life Member (Membership No 140), BELTA, (Bangladesh English Language Teachers’ Association).
- Life Member, BAAS, (Bangladesh Association for American Studies).
- Life Member, English Department Alumni Association, University of Dhaka.
- Member (Membership No 2213), Asiatic Society Bangladesh.
- Vice President, (2005-2010), CDR (Center for Development Research), University of Dhaka.
- Member, Editorial Board, Spectrum, Journal of the Department of English, University of Dhaka.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Bangladesh Association of American Studies (BAAS)
- Executive Editor, (2006-2010), The CDR Journal, University of Dhaka.