Details of Dr. Sonia Nishat Amin
Name: Sonia Nishat Amin, PhD
Occupation: Professor, (and Chairperson) Department of History
Dhaka University, Nilkhet, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Home Address: Apt 3C, Shaheed Munier Chowdhury Bhaban
Dhaka University Residential Area
Nilkhet , Dhaka 1000
Mobile Number: 01710824529
A. Academic Qualifications
Ph.D.(History), 1994, University of Dhaka
Thesis: The World of Muslim Women in Colonial Bengal 1876 -1939
M.A. in Sociology, 1986, Northeastern University, Boston, Mass., USA.
M.A. History, 1976, University of Dhaka, 1st Class (Position 2)
B.A. (Hons. in History), 1975, University of Dhaka, 1st Class (Position 1)
H.S.C.(Humanities), 1970, Dhaka Board, 1st Division
G.C.E., O Levels , 1968, conducted by Cambridge University , UK,(in Dhaka)., 1st Division
B. Job Experience
At the Department of History, University of Dhaka
- Professor, 2002 to date; also chairperson, 2015 to date
- Associate Professor, 1995 to 2001
- Assistant Professor, 1987 1995
- Lecturer, 1984 1987
- Editor in chief, ADAB News (a bi monthly development journal in English published by ADAB, Dhaka) for the year 1984
- Part time lecturer in Sociology, during 1981- 82, at the University College affiliated to Northeastern University, Boston, U.S.A
- Teaching Assistant, Dept of Sociology, Northeastern University, Boston, U.S.A. for two years, 1978 - 1980
C. Research Publications
1.The World of Muslim Women in Colonial Bengal
2.Dhaka Nagar Jibane Nari
“Cultural Symbols as Resistance; The Shahbagh Movement , Dhaka, 2013” in Firoz Mahmud et al (eds), Folklore in the Urban Context (Dhaka:Bangla Academy, 2016)
“Nahi debi nahi samnya nari” women in Tagore's short stories in Imtiaz Ahmed et al (eds) Contemporarising Tagore (Dhaka:United Press Ltd, 2012)
“Nahi debi nahi samanya naari” Rabindra chotogalpe nari in Bhismadeb Choudhury (ed) Probhat surya, ( A sesquicentennial Tribute to Rabindranath Tagore) (Dhaka:Nabajuga Prokashoni, 2011)
Recreating the Victorian Home on Alien Soil: Annete Akroyd and Henry Beveridge in Bengal”, in Bangladesh Historical Studies ( Journal of the Bangladesh History Association) , Vol. XIX 2002-4, (Dhaka: Nov 2005).
“Rokeya: Her Relevance in 21st Century Bangladesh”, Department of Women’s Studies, University of Dhaka, Rokeya Memorial lecture Series, 2004
A Door to which They Found the Key: the Departing Women of Ibsen and Tagore- Nora, Mrinal, Anila”, in Proceedings of the International Ibsen Conference Dhaka Nov 2002 (pub in Dhaka by Centre for Asian Theatre, 2003)
“ The Changing World of Bengali Muslim Women: The Dreams and Efforts of Rokeya Sakhawat Hossein” in Rafiuddin Ahmed (ed) Understanding the Bengal Muslims (New Delhi:OUP, 2003)
”Rokeya’s Padmarag:Utopian Alternative to the Patriarchal family”, in The Dhaka University Studies (Special Issue on Gender), Vol 55, No 1, June 1998.The New Women in Ibsen's plays: the Closing and Opening Door", in Ibsen Through Contemporary Eyes, Shafi Ahmed (ed.) (Dhaka: Centre for Asian Theatre, 1997)
"Rokeya's Anti colonial Allegory: Muktiphal", in Niaz Zaman and Firdous Azim (eds) Colonial and Post Colonial Encounters, (Dhaka: University Press Ltd, 1997)
"Aspects of methodology in women's history", in Feminist Perspectives, Meghna Guhathakurta (ed) (Dhaka: University Press Ltd,1996)
"Voices of women in Dinajpur in reconstructing local women's history", (in Bangla) in Sharifuddin Ahmed (ed) Dinajpurer Itihas o Aitihya, Dhaka: Bangladesh History Assoc., 1996
"The Early Muslim Bhadramahila: the Growth of Learning and Creativity, 1876 to 1939" in Bharati Ray (ed), From the Seams of History: Essays on Indian Women (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1995)
"The Orthodox Discourse and the Emergence of the Muslim Bhadramahila in Early Twentieth Century Bengal", in Rajat K. Ray (ed), Mind Body and Society: Life and Mentality in Colonial Bengal (Calcutta: Oxford University Press, 1995)"Rokeya's Padmarag: The Confrontation of the Old and New" (Bengali), in Samaj Nirikkhan (Journal of Social Studies), No 58, Nov 1995
"Childhood and Role- models in the Muslim andarmahal", in Kumari Jayawardene (ed), Embodied Violence, (New Delhi: Kali for Women, 1995; and London: Zed, 1996)
"English Fiction Writing in Bangladesh", contribution to the Routledge Encyclopaedia of Post Colonial Literatures in English (London, Routledge, 1994)
"The New Woman in Literature: Novels of Najibur Rahman and Rokeya Sakhawat Hossein" in Firdous Azim and Niaz Zaman (eds), Infinite Variety, Women in Society and Literature, (Dhaka: University Press Ltd, 1994)
"Bengali (Muslim) Identity and the Women's Question: The Debate Over Terminology", Theoretical Perspectives, Vol 1, No 1, 1994
"Filling the Gap: Women's History the case of Muslim Bhadramahilas in Bengal", The Journal of Social Studies, No. 62, Oct 1993
"Women, Education and Purdah in Bengal 1715 1971", in Sirajul Islam (ed) History of Bangladesh (in three volumes), (Dhaka: Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, 1992, 2nd edition , 1997).
"Rokeya Sakhawat Hossein and the Legacy of the Bengal Renaissance", Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, Dec 1989
"Rokeya Sakhawat Hossein: The various stages of her struggle (part I and II)" (Bengali), Samaj Nirikkhan (Journal of Social Studies), No. 30 and 31, November 1988
"Attitudinal Change in Wage Earning Women in Bangladesh", Dhaka University Studies, Part A, Vol. 43, No. 1, June 1986
D. Book Reviews
"Paschim Banglar Rajnaitik Angshagrahane Grameen Nari: Ekti Samiksha" Suraiya Begum (Dhaka 1986), Samaj Nirikkhan, N.32, May 1989
"Cold Hearths and Barren Slopes: The Woodfuel Crisis in the Third World" (by Bina Aggarwal, New Delhi, 1986), in The Journal of Social Studies, N.33, July 1986 (reprinted in The Indian Book Review Chronicle, 1987)
E. Literary Publications
“Under the Lemon Tree” trans. By Shabnam Nadiya, in Niaz Zaman and Firdous Azim (eds) Galpa:Short stories by women from Bangladesh, (Saki: London 2005)
"Janmasthan darshan" in Ferdous Azim and Niaz Zaman (eds), Bhinna Chokhe, a collection of feminist short stories in Bengali (Dkaka, 1997)
“Boston Diary Theke”, a non fiction novel based on memories of the U.S.A. (Dhaka, Rupantar Prakashana, 1992)
“Deep Within the Heart” translation into English of a book of poems Poraner Goheen Bhitor (in Bangla) by Syed Shamsul Huq , ( Dhaka : Bengal Publications, 2016).
F. Participation in Conferences, Seminars and Workshops
- Rokeya : her life and career at the Instiute of Social Studies, The Hague, 2005.
- South Asian Writing and Memories of 1971 at the University of Amsterdam, 2005.
- Rokeya Sakhawat Memorial Lecture organized by the department of Women’s Studies, University of Dhaka, 2004
- Annette Akroyd and her Victorian Home: The Ideology of the Domestic at the Conference organized by the International Federation for Research in Women’s History (IFRWH), in Belfast, Ireland , August 2003.
- Recreating the Victorian Home in Bengal at the Internationa conference”Rhetoric and Reality : Women and Gender in south Asian History”, organized by the IFRWH ( Bangladesh Chapter) held in Dhaka December 2002
- Desire in Tasleema Nasrin’s Poetry at the International Conference oragnised by SAFRA ( South Asian Feninsit Research association) held in Sri Lanka , 2004.
- Recreating the Victorian Home on Alien Soil at the national conference of the Bangladesh History Association, Comilla , 2002
- Childhood in Bengali Muslim Homes the Early Twentieth Century at the 54th Annual Meeting for the Association for Asian Studies, Washington April 2002
- Bengali Muslim women writing at the 17th Europen Modern South Asian Studies Conference held at Heidelberg University, September, 2002
- Role of 19th Century Bengali Muslim Women , South Asian Studies, Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford, 2000
- Bengali Muslim Bhadramahila at the 16th European Conference on South Asian Studies held in Edinburgh, September 2000
- Contextual and Methodological Aspects of Bengali Women's Writing at the International Conference on Gender and Nations, Cornell University, Ithaca, USA, April 1998
- Tasleema Nasrin: Evaluating her as a Feminist Writer, State University of New York at Oswego, 1998
- Rokeya as a Pioneering Bengali feminist at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1998.
- Presented (in absence) paper on Subversion and Accommodation in the life and work of Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain, at the Conference organized by AAS (Association of Asian Studies, Chicago, March 13 17, 1997)
- Women's in Ibsen's plays at the International Conference on Ibsen (Dhaka, Feb 1997)
- Secularism in popular media at Seminar on Women, Fundamentalism, Secularism and the Religious Right, organized by Centre for Feminist Legal Research (New Delhi, Feb 12 15, 1996)
- Utopian Alternatives to the Patriarchal Family at the 7th National Conference of the Indian Association of Women's Studies, (Jaipur, December 1995)
- Narir Atmakatha” (autobiographies) at National Conference of Bangladesh History Associaion (Dinajpur, Dec 1 3, 1994)
- Participated in "Workshop on Methodology in Women's Studies" at the Centre for Policy Dialogue (Dhaka, Dec 1994)
- Delivered the Sarat Chandra Bose Memorial Lecture at Netaji Bhawan (Calcutta, September 1994)
- Social Criticism, Circumvention and the Golden Age in Early 20th Century Writings of Bengali Muslim Women at the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh (Dhaka, April 1993)
- The Politics of Muslim Women's Dress in Colonial Bengal at the National Conference of Bangladesh History Association, (Dhaka, March 1993)
- Muslim Andar Mahal in Colonial Bengal: Role Models at Seminar on "Women, the State and Cultural Identity", organized by the Social Scientist' Association, Sri Lanka (Colombo, March 16 20, 1992)
- The Growth of Learning and Creativity among Muslim Bhadramahilas: 1876 1939, organized by Centre for Women's Studies and the Dept of History (Calcutta University, December, 1991)
- Literary Activities of Early Muslim Bhadramahilas: 1876 1939 at Rabindra Bharati University (Calcutta, December 1991)
- The Orthodox Discourse and the Emergence of the Muslim Bhadramahila: 1876 1939 in the Kuruvilla Zachariah Presentations organized by the Dept of History, University of Calcutta (March 1991)
- Participant in the five week workshop on Women's Status and Demographic Change held at the Population Institute of the East West Center, Honolulu, (Hawaii, June July, 1989)
- Resource person in the one day open discussion on Women and Fundamentalism in the light of the 8th Amendment organized by the Center for Advanced Research in Social Science, Dhaka University (1988)
- Participant in the four week workshop on Women and Mass Media organized by CENDIT of India (Bangalore, August 1988)
- Annette Akroyd Beveridge and her Orientalist Scholarship in panel on Women Writing from Bengal at The Indo-Bangldesh Festival of Books and Writers, Independent University of Bangladesh, November 2-7, 2007, Dhaka.
- “Nahi debi nahi samanya naari- Women in Tagore's short stories”, at international conference, University of Dhaka- 'Contemporarising Tagore', Dhaka, 2011.
G. Memberships, Fellowships And Awards
- Member, Bangladesh Itihash Samiti (History Association)
- Member, Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- Member, Bangla Academy
- Recipient of the "Atahar Hossain Gold Medal" for the best research book on women's studies for the period 1997- 98, awarded by the Asiatic Society of Bangladesh
- Visiting Fellowship funded by the American Institute of Bangladesh Studies (AIBS) to work under Cornell University's South Asia Program (March to May 1998)
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Post–doctoral Fellowship 1999-2000 at SOAS, London University
- Writer in residence at ‘Sanskriti Praisthan’, New Delhi, Feb-March 2002.
- Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Social Studies, the Hague, The Netherlands, Aug-Oct 2005
- Secretary of the Bangladesh chapter of the International Federation for Research in Women’s History
- Member Itihasa Sangsad, Bengal. India
- Arthur Lynn Andrews Chair at Department of History, University of Hawaii, Manoa, USA. August 2009-January 2010.
- Fellow, Bangla Academy, Dhaka, 2012.
- Member, Board of Trustees, National Museum of Bangladesh 2013-to date.
Updated :June 2016, Sonia Nishat Amin